
Sunday morning a dear friend of my family, Mrs. Donna Hopkins went home to be with Jesus.
She had been battling a rare disease for the past 2 months, and she gave it her all... and I find comfort in knowing she is no longer fighting and is now rejoicing with our Lord.
Today at the Memorial Service my mind was racing of all the things that have been left behind. Her sweet husband of 35 years... her two sons.... and too many friends and family to count.
I personally knew Donna first and foremost as my moms best friend. They were YaYa's before the book made the term popular. Southern women with a bond stronger than friendship... they were sisters. She came into my life during my tween years. The years of attitude and stubborness. Being my mothers sounding board, I can only imagine the things she heard in frustration about me, but like a parent, Donna only poured unconditional love into my life. She never judged.... not once.
One thing that I selfishly am going to miss about Donna... are lunch dates over chips and salsa at our favorite Mexican spots. Lazy summer afternoons at the lake... laughing...learning to cook new things... and mostly.... Donna always enjoyed doing the "girly" things with my mother. One thing we most recently discussed was her taking a major role in planning my wedding one day. It breaks my heart to think she wont be able to assist me in all the crazy little details... i know its silly... but it was something that I know we both were looking forward to.
If you were blessed to have known Donna... you knew a generous heart. She freely gave her time and energy to those in need. She was known for coming through in times of crisis. Her gentle spirit, always providing comfort to those around her. Just because Donna was gentle, does not indicate she was not strong. She was one of the strongest women I have ever known. She knew how to gracefully balance gentleness with strength in a way that was never offensive.
I pray that her family and friends find the same comfort that I have found in knowing that Donna walked with the Lord. She loved serving at her church... it was another amazing outlet for her servant heart. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that when the Lord embraced her and welcomed her home he gently whispered in her ear, "well done my good and faithful servant you are finally home."
Photo Credit: Miss Kelly McGauran
1 comment:
hi chica...that was beautiful...i was praying for your families yesterday...! i love you and can't wait to see your face tonight.
heart you, kelly
Post a Comment